Kung Pao Chicken
- 3/4 lb. boned chicken
- 1 egg white
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 2 Tb
brown bean sauce or black bean sauce
- 1 Tb hoisin sauce
- 1 tsp.
- 2 tsp. dry sherry
- 1 Tb white rice wine vinegar
- 2 Tb
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 Cup peanut oil
- 1-1/2 tsp. red
- 1/2 Cup roasted peanuts
- Cut chicken into 1/2" squares. In a bowl combine the chicken
with the egg white and cornstarch.
- In another bowl mash the bean
sauce and add the hoisin sauce, sugar, sherry, vinegar, water and
- Assemble the remaining ingredients by the stove.
- Heat a wok or skillet over high heat until a drop of water
immediately sizzles into steam. Maintain high heat throughout the
- Add oil. Just before the oil begins to smoke,
add chicken and stir for 45 seconds or until chicken turns light brown.
- Drain off all but 2 Tb of the oil. Reheat pan.
Just before the oil begins to smoke, add the red pepper and stir 20
seconds or until the pepper darkens.
- Return the chicken to pan
along with the bean sauce mixture and peanuts.
- Stir for 1 minute or
This chicken recipe serves 2 - 4