- 1 (3.5 lb.) chicken - cut in pieces
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp.
freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 celery stalk
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 2 tbsp. oil
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Trim away any fat from chicken and discard. Rinse the chicken
well under cold running water. Pat dry with paper towels.
- Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Place chicken in plastic or
- Pour the flour into the bag and shake well to cover
the chicken all over.
- Remove the chicken from the bag and dust off the
excess flour. Save 1 tbsp. of flour to use to thicken the gravy.
- Dice the celery, slice the onions and mince the garlic. Crush the
- Heat the oil in a large skillet that has a cover.
- Add the
chicken and sauté over medium-low heat for about 20 minutes, turning
occasionally to brown evenly.
- When golden brown, push the
chicken to the side of the pan.
- Add the reserved tbsp. of flour and
sauté, stirring, until lightly browned.
- Add the celery, onion
and garlic to the skillet and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring
occasionally, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Stir together
the chicken and vegetables.
- Add the thyme and chicken broth.
- Bring to a
- Reduce the heat to very low, cover, and simmer the
chicken for 20-25 minutes, or until the chicken is tender and the juices
run clear when pierced.
- Serve hot.