- 1 hen, about 4 pounds, cut into serving pieces
- Salt and cayenne pepper
- 2/3 cups vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped bell peppers
- 4 to 5 cups warm water or chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 3 tablespoons chopped green onions
- Season the chicken pieces generously with salt and cayenne. Set aside.
- In a large black iron or stainless steel pot, make a roux by
combining the oil and flour over medium heat. Stir constantly for about
20 to 25 minutes, or until it is dark brown.
- Add the onions and
bell peppers. Cook, stirring often, for about five minutes, or until
they are soft.
- Add the chicken pieces and stir to coat well with
the roux mixture. Cook for about five minutes.
- Slowly add the
water or broth. Add the bay leaves.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce
the heat and simmer for about two hours, or until the chicken is tender.
- Remove the bay leaves.
- Add the parsley and
green onions and serve immediately.
Recipe serves about 8.