5 Spice Chicken with Hoisin Maple Glaze
Patrick combines 5 spice seasoning, chicken, maple syrup and more to make this delicious chicken dish.
- 2 Tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Hungarian sweet Paprika
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Chinese 5 spice powder
- 1 teaspoon ground fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 3 pounds chicken pieces
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 Tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons Asian sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger minced
- 1/4 cup peanut or canola oil
- In a small bowl combine brown sugar, paprika, garlic, 2 teaspoons 5
spice, fennel, mustard and mix.
- Place chicken in a 9x13 baking dish and
rub spice mix all over. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours.
- Prepare grill for indirect heat.
- In a bowl combine hoisin, maple syrup,
soy sauce, honey, sesame oil, ginger and remaining 5 spice.
- Lightly brush chicken with peanut oil and arrange skin side down over
direct heat. Cover and cook for 5 minutes until grill marks appear.
- Move to indirect if flares up happen. Flip chicken for 2 minutes
more. Move to cooler side.
- Finishing cooking over indirect heat.
- Brush glaze on chicken flip glaze side down over hot part of grill.
Cook until glaze gets bubbly and deep red.
- Brush more glaze and cook for
a minute more and serve.
Recipe and photograph is courtesy of Patrick S Lumpkin, thank you for