Veau Dans Le Chaudron (Veal Pot
- 3 tb Bacon fat or salad oil
- 2 Garlic cloves, cut in half
- 1 Veal - 1/2 leg or:-3 or 4 lb rolled shoulder-of veal
- 1/4 tsp. Pepper
- 1/4 tsp. Thyme OR:
- 1/2 tsp. Savory
- 1 Bay leaf
- 6 Potatoes
- 6 Onions - medium
- Melt or heat bacon fat or oil in cast iron saucepan.
- Stuff the 2
cloves of garlic, cut in two, into incisions made in the veal.
- Place the
meat in the hot fat and brown well on all sides.
- Don't rush this
as the colour and flavour of the finished gravy will depend on how well
the meat has been browned.
- Add the thyme or savory and the bay
leaf. Place the potatoes and onions, whole around the meat. Don't add
- Cover tightly and cook over medium heat till meat is
tender, about 2 hours.
- The potatoes and onions will not break as
there is no liquid added. The veal will make its own gravy.
cooked, remove the meat from the pan to a heated platter.
- Place the pan
over high heat and stir gently, so as not to break up the vegetables.
- When they are well coated with gravy, boil another minutes or so
till the gravy has a nice consistency.
- This is a complete meal.
Recipe source: The Quebec section of The Canadiana Cookbook by Mme.