Soupe A L'ivrogne (Drunkard's
- 2 tb Salted herbs
- 1/4 lb. Salt pork, cut into small cubes
large Onions, chopped
- 6 slices White bread, cubed
- 8 c Beef stock
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Soak herbs in cold water, then drain.
- Fry salt pork until crisp
and brown in a large, heavy frying pan.
- Add onions and sauté until
- Add bread cubes to the frying pan; toss to coat well.
- Place frying pan in a preheated 350 degrees F oven for 15 minutes to toast
- Transfer mixture to a large, heavy saucepan.
beef stock and salted herbs.
- Simmer gently for 1 hour.
seasoning with salt and pepper.
Recipe source: A Taste of Quebec
by Julian Armstrong