Smothered Muskrat and Onions
- 1 Muskrat
- 1 tb Salt
- 1 quart Water; Canadian quart=5 cups
- 1 1/2
- 1/4 tsp. Paprika
- 1/2 c Flour
- 3 tb Fat
- 3 large Onions; sliced
- 1 c Sour cream
- Skin and clean the muskrat, remove fat, scent glands and white tissue
inside each leg.
- Soak muskrat overnight in a weak brine solution
of 1 Tbsp. salt to 1 quart (Imperial quart = 5 cups) water.
disjoint and cut up. Put flour, salt & paprika in a paper bag.
muskrat pieces and shake until each piece is well coated.
fat in heavy fry pan, add the muskrat pieces and sauté slowly until
- When meat is browned, cover with onions, sprinkle with salt and
pepper and pour the cream over.
- Cover fry pan and simmer for 1
Recipe serves 4
Recipe source: The Northern
Cookbook Ministry of Supply and services, Canada