Pate aux Poireaux (Leek Tart)
- 6 tb Butter
- 4 Leeks; up to 5
- 1/2 c -Water
- 2 tb Flour; all purpose
- Salt & ground black pepper
- 1 Egg
- 2 tb Light cream
- 1 c White cheddar cheese; mild
- Pastry for 9 inch tart shell
- Heat 4 tablespoons of the butter in a heavy saucepan, add leeks and cook
over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Add water, cover and simmer gently for 20
to 25 minutes or until tender.
- In another saucepan, melt the remaining
two tablespoons butter, blend in flour and cook over medium heat until
- Blend in leek mixture, bring to a boil and season with salt
and pepper. Remove from heat.
- Beat egg and cream together, blend with
leek mixture and pour into unbaked tart shell. Sprinkle top evenly with
- Bake in preheated 400F oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until cheese
begins to brown.
This leek and cheese quiche from Ile D'Orleans
is related to the Flamiche aux Poireuax, a savory leek tart made in
northern France and Flanders. The same recipe can also be used to make
Recipe serves 6
Recipe source: A Taste of
Quebec by Julian Armstrong