Pate aux Patates (Potato Pie)
- 5 Potatoes, hot
- 2 tsp. Butter
- 2 Egg yolks
- 1 Onion; finely chopped
- 1/4 c Celery stalk; & leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tb Parsley; chopped, fresh
- 1 pinch Savory, dried
, OR 1 pinch Chives, fresh
- Salt & ground pepper
- Pastry for double crust 9" pie
- Line a 9-inch pie plate with pastry.
- Mash potatoes with enough
milk to make a smooth puree; add butter and 1 egg yolk.
potatoes with onion, celery, parsley and savoury; season with salt and
pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle potato mixture in pie shell. Cover
with top crust, trim and crimp edges to seal and cut steam vents.
- Brush top crust with remaining egg yolk. bake pie in a preheated
400F oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until pastry is golden.
from Nicole Kretz "This potato pie makes a warming supper dish. It was a
Friday favorite in the days when the meatless rule was observed in
French Catholic families"
Recipe serves 6-8
source: A Taste of Quebec by Julian Armstrong