Pate A La Rapure (Grated Pie)
- 1 Chicken 5-6 lb boiling
- 5 lb. Potatoes
- 2 Onions; medium - chopped
- 1 Celery stalk-diced
- 1 Carrot; grated
tsp. Thyme or 1 bay leaf
- Salt & pepper
- Cut chicken into individual pieces. Place in saucepan.
- Cover with cold
water, bring to a boil.
- Add onions, celery, carrot, thyme or bay
leaf, salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and simmer 1 1/2 to 2 hours or
till chicken is tender.
- Peel and grate potatoes over a bowl of
- When chicken is cooked squeeze 1 or 2 cups potato at a time
in a piece of cotton till quite dry.
- Place in a saucepan.
potatoes are all squeezed dry add as much boiling broth from the chicken
as needed to almost cover potatoes.
- Stir till thoroughly mixed. Salt
lightly. Simmer over low heat about 10 minutes.
generously a 8" square baking dish.
- Spread half potatoes in the bottom
of the pan.
- Bone the hot chicken and spread over the potatoes, cover
with the half of the potatoes.
- Mince one small onion very
finely, add 1/4 tsp. pepper and 2 slices fat salt pork cut in very small
- Bake 1/2 hour in 350F oven or till top is golden brown and
crisp. Serve hot.
Recipe source: The Acadian section of _The
Canadiana Cookbook_ by Mme. Jehane Benoit.