Nova Scotia Oatcakes
- 3 c Rolled oats; not instant
- 3 c Flour, all purpose; sifted
- 1 c Brown sugar
tsp. Baking soda
- 2 tsp. Salt
- 1 1/2 c Shortening
- 2/3 c Cold water, up to 3/4 cup
- Combine oats, flour, sugar, soda and salt. Cut in the shortening with a
pastry blender or 2 knives until the mixture is crumbly.
- Using a
fork, gradually add enough water for moisture to form a ball.
- Roll out
1/4" thick on a lightly floured board.
- Cut into circles and
place on greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 350F for 15 minutes.
Recipe yields about 4 dozen, depending on spoon size.
source: Classic Canadian Cooking by Elizabeth Baird