Nanaimo Bars (Canadian Candy)
- 1 cup (250 mL) graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup (125 mL)
flaked coconut or shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) finely chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup (60 mL)
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) butter, melted1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) butter
- 2 tbsp.
(30 mL) custard powder
- 1/2 tsp. (2 mL) vanilla2 cups (500 mL)
- icing sugar
tbsp. (30 mL) milk, (approx.)
- 4 oz. (113 g) semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 tbsp. (15 mL) butter
- In bowl, stir together graham crumbs, coconut, walnuts, cocoa powder and
- Drizzle with butter and egg; stir until combined.
crumb mixture into parchment paper–lined 9-inch (2.5 L) square metal
- Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven until firm, about 10
minutes. Let cool in pan on rack.
- In bowl, beat together butter, custard powder and vanilla.
- Beat in
icing sugar alternately with milk until smooth, adding up to 1 tsp (5
mL) more milk if too thick to spread.
- Spread over cooled base;
refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.
- In heatproof bowl over saucepan of hot (not boiling) water, melt
chocolate with butter.
- Spread over filling; refrigerate until almost
set, about 30 minutes.
- With tip of knife, score into bars;
refrigerate until chocolate is set, about 1 hour.
- Cut into bars.
Recipe yields 18 bars.