Grand Marnier Nanaimo Bars
- 2 c Graham wafer crumbs
- 1 c Coconut, unsweetened, flaked
- 1/2 c
Pecans; toasted, chopped
- 2/3 c Butter
- 1/3 c Cocoa powder;
unsweetened - sifted
- 1/4 c Sugar, granulated
- 1 Egg; beaten
Grand Marnier Layer
- 2 c Icing Sugar
- 1/4 c
- 1/4 c Grand Marnier; or orange liqueur
- 1 tb
Orange rind; coarsely grated
- 1 tb Butter
- 4 oz. Semisweet chocolate; melted
- In bowl, stir together crumbs, coconut and pecans.
- In small
saucepan, gently heat butter, cocoa and sugar until butter melts.
from heat; whisk in egg.
- Blend into crumb mixture.
- Press into
greased 9 inch square cake pan. Bake in 350F oven for 10 minutes.
cool on rack.
Grand Marnier Layer:
bowl, place half of icing sugar with butter, mix in half of the icing
sugar with butter; mix in Grand Marnier, remaining icing sugar and
- Spread over base.
- Stir butter into chocolate until melted; spread evenly over
Grand Marnier layer.
- Let cool for 20 minutes in refrigerator; cut into
bars. (Bars can be covered, refrigerated up to 2 weeks, or frozen up to
- Let soften slightly before serving.
CLASSIC NANAIMO BARS
- Make base and Chocolate Topping as
- In layer, substitute milk for Grand Marnier; add 1/2 tsp vanilla.
- Substitute 2 tsp. grated lemon rind for orange juice.
source: Canadian Living's Desserts by Elizabeth Baird