Christmas Oyster Soup
- 2 Carrots; medium, peeled & grated in long, thin shreds
- 1/2 c
Celery; finely diced
- 1/4 c Butter; melted
- 4 c Milk; or 1/2 milk,
- 4 c Oysters
- salt and pepper to taste
- Peel and grate in long thin shreds, the carrots and add finely diced
- Melt butter in saucepan and add the vegetables. Stir.
- Cover and simmer over very low heat for 20 minutes, without browning the
- Add milk (or use 1/2 milk, 1/2 cream); bring to a boil.
- Heat oysters in enameled cast iron pan over medium heat; do not
- Pour into milk and serve.
- Use salt and pepper to taste.
The soup should be served as soon as ready, otherwise it tend to curdle.
The milk and vegetables can be be prepared ahead of time and the oysters
heated and served at the last minute.
To quote Mme. Benoit,
"This traditional Quebec dish is still very much alive. My grandmother's
recipe is, as far as I am concerned, the best there is."
Source: My Grandmother's Kitchen by Mme. Benoit