All-in-One Chocolate Cake and Frosting
- 6 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract, separated
- 1 (2lb.) pkg.
C&H® Powdered Sugar
- 2/3 cup milk
- 4 oz. unsweetened chocolate,
- 1/2 cup Dutch Processed unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
large eggs, room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 12-cup Bundt baking pan,
preferably non-stick, and set aside.
- Frosting: In large mixing
bowl, beat cream cheese, butter and 2 teaspoons vanilla extract: mix
well. Add powdered or confectioners' sugar alternately with milk,
beating 1-2 minutes or until blended.
- Melt chocolate in the microwave,
and then quickly add in until blended. Slowly incorporate cocoa powder.
Remove 2 3/4 cups of frosting from bowl, placing into a plastic sealable
bag. Place bag in refrigerator to chill.
- Cake: With mixer at slow
speed, add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and eggs, one at a time, to
remaining frosting, scraping down the bowl with each addition; beat
until blended. In separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.
Add flour mixture to frosting mixture alternately with water; blend
- Pour into prepared pan and bake 65-70 minutes or until
toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 30 minutes. Remove
frosting from fridge, and set aside. While cake is still warm, use a
knife to loosen the cake from the sides of the pan. Cool completely
before removing from pan. Place cake on serving plate and top with
- For Cupcakes: Line 2 or 3 muffin pans with paper
liners. Pour to fill halfway, and bake 25 minutes, or until a toothpick
inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Cool completely
- For Sheet cake: Pour batter into a generously
greased and floured 9x13-inch baking dish. Bake 35 to 45 minutes, or
until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool
completely before frosting.
To make cake using
white frosting design, remove 1/4 cup of vanilla frosting before adding
melted chocolate and cocoa powder. Then reserve 2 1/2 cups of chocolate
frosting instead of 2 3/4 cup.
To melt chocolate in the
microwave, cook on high for 30 seconds, stir and continue cooking for
additional 15 seconds. Repeat this process until chocolate is melted,
but not hot.
Before frosting Bundt cake or cupcakes, allow
frosting to sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes before
· If your baking soda is older than
6 months, consider replacing it with a fresh package. Baking soda is an
active ingredient used to help make baked foods rise, so for best
results, always use the freshest ingredients.
· Be careful not
to over mix your cake batter. Mix just until all ingredients are
combined, since over mixing will give you a denser, heavier cake.
· Remember to use regular cream cheese. Substituting with low-fat or
fat-free cream cheese may change the consistency of the frosting.
Recipe and photo used with permission from C&H® Sugar