Southern Collard Greens
- 1 1/2 quarts water
- 1 1/2 pounds ham hocks
- 4 pounds collard
greens, rinsed and trimmed
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the water and the ham hock in a large pot with a tight-fitting
- Bring to a boil. Lower the heat to very low and simmer
covered for 30 minutes.
- Add the collards and the hot pepper
flakes the pot. Simmer covered for about 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Add the vegetable oil and simmer covered for 30 minutes.
These collard greens have become a Southern tradition.
Cajun Recipes Page 1