South Louisiana-Style Camellia White Beans and Rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound smoked or Andouille sausage, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large stalk celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound Camellia Brand Great Northern Beans
- 8-10 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Creole seasoning, to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley, plus extra for garnish
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions, plus extra for garnish
- Hot cooked rice
- Rinse and sort beans.
- To a large heavy pot over medium heat, add oil.
- Add sliced sausage to pot, and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add onions, bell pepper, celery, and garlic to pot, and sauté till soft
- Add beans, water, cayenne, and bay leaf to pot.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer uncovered for 1-2 hours, or
until beans are tender. Add additional water as necessary.
- For a creamier consistency, mash some beans against the side of the pot.
- Add salt, pepper, and creole seasoning to taste.
- Just before serving, stir in fresh parsley and green onions, and serve
with hot cooked rice.
Recipe and Photo Courtesy of
Camellia Brand. Used with permission.
Cajun Recipes-Cajun and Creole Recipes