Smothered Louisiana Alligator Stew With Brown Rice
- 1 1/4 lbs. Louisiana Alligator, cut into 1 oz. pieces, pounded thin
- Cooking spray as needed
- 3/4 cup red onion, medium-diced
- 3/4 cup celery, medium-diced
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, medium-diced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, medium-diced
- 3/4 cup button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 Tbsp. cayenne pepper
- 4 1/4 cups clam juice
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp. fresh basil, chopped
- 3 Tbsp. flat leaf parsley, minced, divided
- 1/4 cup half & half
- 2 cups brown rice, cooked, warm
- 1 Tbsp. parsley, minced
- Spray nonstick sauté pan with cooking spray and heat.
- Add vegetables, sauté for 1 minute. Add cayenne pepper; sauté for 1
minute. Add 4 cups of clam juice, reserving 1/4 cup; bring to a simmer.
- Mix 1/4 cup clam juice with cornstarch and stir; add to the simmering
- Add Louisiana Alligator, basil, 2 tbsp. of parsley and half & half,
simmer until alligator is cooked, 5 to 6 minutes.
- In individual serving bowls, place 1/2 cup of brown rice. Spoon
alligator and sauce over rice. Garnish with 1 tbsp. parsley.
Reciipe and photo Courtesy of Louisiana Seafood and Marketing Board, used
Cajun Recipes-Cajun and Creole Recipes