Slap Ya Mama’s Shrimp & Grits
These Cheesy grits are covered in bacon, tasso and seasoned jumbo
shrimp. Great dish for brunch, dinner, or just anytime you want to treat
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup stone ground grits
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 2 cups
cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tsp Slap Ya Mama Original Blend Seasoning
- Salt to taste (for grits)
- 6 strips bacon, chopped
- ½ onion, chopped
- ½ bell pepper, chopped
- ½ cup tasso or smoked ham
- 1 tsp Slap Ya
Mama White Pepper Blend Seasoning
- 1 pound jumbo shrimp, deveined &
peeled, leaving the tail on
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 Tbsp parsley,
- ½ tsp garlic, minced
- green onions, chopped (topping)
- In a pot over high heat, add water and grits.
- Bring to a boil, reduce
heat to low and let simmer until the grits have absorbed the water;
about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Stir often to prevent sticking.
from heat and add 3 Tbsp of butter, cheese, salt to taste and Slap Ya
Mama Original Blend Seasoning.
- Mix until cheese has fully melted.
- Season shrimp with Slap Ya Mama White Pepper Blend Seasoning and set
- In a large pan over medium high heat, cook bacon. Remove
bacon and set aside on a paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Reduce heat
to medium and in the bacon drippings, add onions, bell peppers and tasso.
Sauté until the onions are translucent.
- Add shrimp and sauté until pink.
- Add lemon juice, parsley, garlic, bacon and remaining butter. Sauté for
about 3 minutes and remove from heat.
- Spoon grits into a bowl and
generously top with shrimp mixture and green onions. Serve and enjoy.
Recipe and Photo courtesy of Jack Walker at
Slap Ya Mama .