Papa's Fried Catfish
- 3 pounds wild-caught Louisiana catfish filets
- salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
- Flour, as needed
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 medium-size yellow onion, peeled and thinly sliced
(separate into rings)
- Lemon wedges, for garnish
- Tartar sauce, to serve
- Rinse the catfish in cool water and pat dry. Season the fish generously with
salt and cayenne.
- Combine the flour and cornmeal in a shallow bowl and
season with salt and cayenne. Pour the milk into another shallow dish.
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy skillet to about 360ºF.
- Dip the catfish, 2
to 3 at a time, into the milk, then dredge in the cornmeal mixture, tapping off
any excess. Let sit for about 1 minute, then fry (2 to 3 pieces at a time) in
the hot oil.
- Cook for about 3 minutes on each side or until golden
brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Scatter several onion rings over the fish
as they cook and squeeze lemon juice over them. Repeat the process until all the
fish is cooked.
- Serve warm with tartar sauce.
Recipe and photo courtesy of louisianaseafood.com and Louisiana Cookin