Louisiana Crawfish Pies
- 1 stick salted butter
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
cup finely chopped green bell peppers
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, dissolved in 1
cup water (a slurry)
- 1 pound peeled Louisiana crawfish tails
- 1/4 cup
chopped green onions, green part only
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 6 3-inch pie shells or 1 9-inch pie shell, pre-baked according to
- Heat butter in a medium saucepan
over medium heat. Add onions and bell peppers and cook, stirring, until soft and
lightly golden, about 6 minutes.
- Add salt, cayenne, black pepper, tomato
paste, paprika and 1/2 cup water. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring
often, for 5 minutes.
- Add cornstarch and water. Cook mixture, stirring
often, until it is smooth and slightly thick. Add crawfish and cook, stirring
occasionally, for10 minutes.
- Add green onions and parsley and adjust seasoning
- Remove mixture from heat and cool. Spoon mixture into the
pre-baked pie shells. Place on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F until the
mixture is bubbly, 8 to 10 minutes for small pie shells or 15 to 18 minutes for
a 9-inch shell.
Makes 6 small pies or 1 large pie
*The filling can
be made up to 2 days in advance and stored in an airtight container in the
Name of Chef: Marcelle Bienvenu.
Recipe and Photo
used with permission from louisianaseafood.com and Louisiana Cookin'
Cajun Recipes Page 1
Non Cajun Appetizers