Louisiana Buttermilk Fried Alligator with Spicy Tomato Sauce
Alligator that is perfectly seasoned dipped in flour and buttermilk, fried
and served with a spicy tomato sauce.
- 4 lb. Louisiana alligator, tenderloin, 1-inch cubes
- 2 qt. Canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups onions, small dice
- 1/4 cup jalapeños, small dice
- 32 oz. tomatoes, canned, diced
- 1 Tbsp. Original TABASCO® brand pepper sauce
- 1/3 cup basil, chopped
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbsp. Creole seasoning
- 6 cups flour
- 6 cups buttermilk
- Heat canola oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and jalapeños
and cook until onions are tender and translucent. Add tomatoes and cook
additional 20 minutes. Add TABASCO® and basil, and season to taste with salt
and pepper. Reserve sauce warm.
- Combine Creole seasoning and flour. Reserve.
- Coat Louisiana Alligator Tenderloin with seasoned flour and shake off
any excess flour. Coat each piece with buttermilk and toss in seasoned flour
a second time. Shake off any excess flour.
- Fry until golden brown and drain on paper towels. Season to taste with
salt. Serve with spicy tomato sauce on the side.