Cajun King Cake
- 3 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup vegetable
- 1/3 cup nonfat dry milk
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 egg whites
Light Lemon Glaze:
- 1 cup
sifted powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon grated
- dash of salt
- 2 to 3 tablespoons hot water
- Colored sugar crystals and dragées
- Small china or plastic oven safe baby
- Preheat oven to 375F. Grease and flour a 10-inch fancy tube pan. Sift
flour before measuring and combine with sugar, water, oil, dry milk,
baking powder, vanilla, and salt in a bowl. Mix until smooth.
- Whip the egg whites until stiff. Fold whipped egg whites into the batter
until evenly blended. Spoon batter into the prepared pan. Bake 40 to 50
minutes until cake bounces back when gently touched in the center.
out of pan onto cake rack; cool thoroughly.
- Drizzle with Light Lemon
Glaze and decorate with purple and green sugar crystals and gold dragées.
LIGHT LEMON GLAZE:
- Mix 1 cup sifted powdered sugar with 1
tablespoon fresh lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind, a dash of
salt, and 2 to 3 tablespoons hot water until mixture is smooth and can
be drizzled onto the cake.
* NOTE: Oven-safe doll may be inserted
in batter; otherwise insert doll in cake before inverting cake out of
Cajun Recipes-Cajun and Creole Recipes