This is a zesty, tangy dish that features head-on Louisiana shrimp, garlic,
butter, onions, lemons and more.
- 2 sticks salted butter or 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large head garlic, peeled and chopped fine
- 2 medium onions, chopped fine
- 1 1/2 lemons, unpeeled, cut into small, thin wedges
- 6 bay leaves
- 5 lbs. Louisiana shrimp with heads
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Melt the butter or oil in a pan, preferably cast iron, set over medium
- Add the garlic, onion, lemon and bay leaves and sauté until ingredients
soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and season with salt and pepper.
- Stir and cover until shrimp begin to turn pink, about 3 minutes. Reduce
heat to medium and cook for 10 to 12 minutes, covered.
- Remove the pan from the heat and set it aside, covered for 15 minutes.
Serve with French bread to soak up the delicious juices.
Cooking/Prep Time: 35 minutes Serves 6.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Louisiana Seafood
and Los Islenos Heritage &