Fried Stuffed Crabs
- 1/4 lb. butter
- 1 1/2 cups onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup bell pepper, chopped fine
- 1/4 cup green onions, chopped fine
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 6 slices
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup minced parsley
- 2 1/2 dozen boiled crabs
cups crabmeat (claw and white)
For the batter dip:
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp.
- 3 tsp. vinegar
- 1/4 cup cold water
For the breading:
- 1 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- Small amounts of salt,
pepper and garlic powder
- Remove claws from 2 dozen crabs and set aside.
- Clean crabs as you
would for stew or gumbo. Wash and drain well.
- Season crabs with salt, black
pepper, red pepper and garlic powder. Refrigerate.
- Remove meat from 6
remaining crabs and all claws. This should yield about 4 ups of crabmeat.
- Sauté onions, bell pepper, celery and garlic in butter for
1 hour, on medium heat, stirring often. Do not brown.
- Wet stale bread,
then squeeze all the water out.
- Mix bread in bowl with eggs, green onions, black
pepper, red pepper, salt and parsley.
- Beat all ingredients well with hand mixer.
- Add to sautéed vegetables, stirring constantly 5-6 minutes until
- Add crabmeat, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Cool dressing to room temperature. Stuff crab cavities and set aside.
- Mix batter dip ingredients and blend in a large bowl.
- Blend together
the breading ingredients in a large bowl.
- Dip all crabs one at a time in
batter dip, then breading, and set aside.
- Fry crabs in deep hot fat in 4
cups of cooking oil until golden brown.
Makes 6-8 servings.
Source: The Pink Pantry
Cajun Recipes-Cajun and Creole Recipes Page 1