Crawfish & Vegetable Chowder
- 8 oz. bacon
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 c. finely chopped celery
- 3 T. finely chopped bell pepper
- 1 c. finely chopped carrots
- 1/4 c. all purpose flour
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 c. finely diced potatoes
- 1/4 t. cayenne pepper
- 1/4 t. paprika
- 1 17-oz.
can cream style corn
- 1 16-oz. can whole kernel corn
- 2 c. half
& half cream
- 1 lb. Louisiana crawfish tailmeat
- Parsley for
- Cook bacon in a large pot until crisp. Crumble and set aside.
drippings, sauté onions, garlic, celery, bell pepper and carrots until
- Blend in flour, stirring constantly for 2 minutes.
- Add broth and bay
leaf, stirring occasionally until thickened.
- Add potatoes, salt, pepper and
- Cook for 20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Add corn. Heat
- Stir in half & half. Add crawfish. Heat thoroughly but do not
- Remove bay leaf and adjust seasonings.
- When ready to serve, sprinkle
each serving with crumbled bacon and chopped parsley.
Recipe courtesy of Leslie Davis and the Louisiana Crawfish Promotion and Research
Board, Crawfish.org. Used with permission.
Photo credit: Shreveport-Bossier Convention and Tourist Bureau.
More Cajun and Creole recipes