Catfish Bienville is perfectly seasoned and seared. A delicious mixture of
creamy shrimp sauce is served over the catfish.
- 6 U.S. Farm-Raised Catfish Fillets
- ½ cup butter, divided
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 rib celery, diced
- 1½ cups chopped mushrooms
- ½ pound shrimp
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup chicken stock
- ½ cup Parmesan
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon sherry (optional)
- Fresh-cut parsley for garnish
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a small bowl in microwave. Generously coat
each fillet with salt and pepper, then brush with melted butter.
- Add seasoned fillets, presentation side down, to a very hot cast-iron
skillet, and sear to get a nice crust, approximately 1 to 2 minutes.
Carefully turn and sear other side, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and
- Place a large skillet over medium heat. Cook bacon until crispy. Remove
bacon from pan; add remaining butter.
- Add onions and garlic and cook for 3 minutes or until onions are
translucent. Add bell pepper, celery and mushrooms; cook an additional 3
minutes. Add shrimp and cook for 3 minutes.
- Dust shrimp mixture with flour and stir to coat evenly; continue to cook
for 2 minutes.
- Stir in heavy cream and chicken stock; cook until sauce thickens. Add
Parmesan cheese and stir to combine. Add cayenne pepper and season with
salt, pepper and sherry to taste.
- Spoon sauce over cooked fillets and garnish with parsley if desired.
Recipe and photo courtesy of US Catfish Institute.