Cajun Sausage Bread
- 1 lb. Breakfast sausage
- 1/2 lb. smoked sausage, sliced and quartered
- 1 cup cubed tasso ham
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 teaspoon Cajun Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1-1/2 cups beef broth
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced green onions
- 2 - 1 lb. French bread dough balls or frozen bread dough
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Heat saucepot over medium heat and add breakfast sausage and smoked
sausage. Cook until sausage starts to brown.
- Drain grease from sausage mixture.
- Add tasso, onion, bell pepper, celery, Cajun Seasoning and hot sauce.
Sauté for 10 minutes.
- Add flour and continue to cook for 5 minutes, scraping bottom of pan
- Add beef broth and cook for an additional 10 minutes until meat
mixture is thick.
- Add cheese and green onions and cook for 5 minutes.
- Pour into bowl and allow mixture to cool in refrigerator.
- Place 2 - l lb. French bread dough balls on floured surface and roll out
to ½-inch thick rectangles (about 4 x 8 inches).
- Divide filling into four parts and spread two strips of filling
lengthwise onto each rolled out bread dough, leaving space between the two
- Fold about one inch of each end toward center. Then roll dough, using
the long side, into a cylinder like a cigar.
- Seal ends with a dab of water.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Allow loaves to cool slightly before cutting bread into slices.
Yields two loaves of Cajun sausage bread.
This recipe was sent to us by Johnny and posted on our old cooking blog.
Cajun Recipes-Cajun and Creole Recipes