Hearty Beef Stew
- 2 1/2 pounds beef chuck, round steak, or stew meat cut in cubes
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 medium to large onion, chopped fine
- 1 1/2 tsp.
- 1 1/2 tsp. black and/or red pepper
- 2 tbsp. oil (canola
- 7 cups beef broth or bouillon cube equivalent
- 4 cups carrots, peeled
- 8 red potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 tbsp. browning and seasoning sauce (Kitchen Bouquet) or
- 1/2 cup each bell pepper and celery chopped fine
- In a large bowl, sprinkle meat with flour and toss to coat evenly.
Add the onions, celery, bell pepper, salt, black (and/or red) pepper and
toss again to coat evenly.
- Heat oil in large saucepan or Dutch
oven over medium-low heat. Add meat and the onions, celery and bell
pepper and cook until meat has browned. You may have to de-glaze the
bottom of the pan while browning by pouring a very small amount of water
in the pot to prevent burning. Add the beef broth and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat, cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Add the carrots and the
potatoes to the stew (you may have to add more water) and simmer covered
30 to 40 minutes until potatoes and carrots are cooked thoroughly.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour and water until the
mixture is smooth. Add slowly to the stew stirring constantly. Continue
cooking uncovered 5 minutes or until meat and potatoes are tender. Stir
in the browning sauce or Kitchen Bouquet. Heat thoroughly and serve over
- Method 2 - After browning the meat, onions, bell pepper and
celery, place all ingredients is a crock-pot and cook on low for 8 hours
or on high for 4 hours.
- Yield : 8 Servings : 8P rep Time : 30m
Cook Time : 40m Ready In : 1:10 hour
Recipe and photo provided by
Real Cajun Recipes Used
More Beef Recipes