Cheesy Chicken Casserole
- 6 chicken breast halves with skin and bone
- 1 10-ounce package frozen chopped broccoli
- 1 cup cream
- 1 cup half-n-half mixed with water (1/2 of each)
- 16 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 cups grated Parmesan, divided
- Early in day, simmer chicken in water to cover until tender, adding 1
small chopped onion, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 bay leaf, 2 garlic cloves and 3
celery tops to water.
- Remove chicken; cool. Discard skin and
bones; slice chicken thinly; cover and refrigerate.
- About 1 hour
before serving, cook and drain broccoli as package directs; arrange in
bottom of greased 2-quart casserole.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In double boiler, over hot, not boiling water, blend cream,
half-n-half mixture, mascarpone, salt and garlic powder until smooth and
hot; stir in 3/4 cup Parmesan.
- Pour 1 cup cream sauce over
broccoli; top with chicken in even layer. Cover chicken with rest of
sauce; sprinkle with 1/4 cup Parmesan.
- Bake at 350° 25 to 30
minutes or until piping hot. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Pass
remaining Parmesan at table.
- If desired, in last 10 minutes of
baking, top with buttered, toasted low carb bread crumbs or crumbled
Lean Protein Chips.
Makes 8 servings. 2 carbs per serving.
Atkins Diet Recipes