Italian Lemon Sponge Cake
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1 Tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 Tablespoons Soya powder or soy flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 5 Tablespoons Splenda
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 4 Tablespoons heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Place egg yolks and Splenda in a bowl.
Beat with electric mixer until well blended. Add vanilla extract and
lemon peel. Continue to beat and add soy flour one tablespoon at a time.
Stir in heavy cream.
- Beat egg whites in fresh bowl with cream of
tartar until stiff but not dry. Fold yolk mixture into egg whites. Be
careful not to break down egg whites, so fold carefully and slowly.
- Turn into greased 9" cake pan and bake at 325°F for 30 minutes or
until cake tests done.
- * Soya Powder is much finer than soy
flour, so a lighter cake will result.
Makes 9 servings. 6 grams
of carbohydrate per serving.
Atkins Diet Recipes