Appetizers and Snacks |
Beef and Pork |
Bisque, Etouffee, Gumbo and Jambalaya |
Bread and Rolls |
Cajun Cooking Terms |
Cajun Jokes |
Chicken, Turkey and Cornish
and Relish |
Fish and Seafood |
Pasta, Pasta Sauce, Rice
and Beans |
Preserves, Jams and Jelly |
Salad and Salad Dressing |
Sandwiches and Po' Boys |
Seasoning, Sauce, Rub
and Roux |
Side Dishes, Vegetables, Gravy and Dressing |
Soup, Stew and Chili |
Catalan Sauté of Calamari (Squid) in Onion Marmalade
- 1 1/4 lb Calamari And Tentacles, Clean
- 3 tb Olive Oil, Virgin
Dry Red Chile Pepper, Broken
- 3 lg Onions
- Salt & Pepper To Taste
- Clean calamari and cut tubes crosswise into 1/2" rings. Dry calamari on
paper towels and reserve.
- In a medium frying pan, heat 1 Tbs.
oil over medium-high heat. Add the calamari and sauté until the rings
turn opaque white, about 30 seconds to one minute. Transfer calamari to
a bowl and set aside.
- Wipe pan dry, add remaining oil and heat.
Add chile pepper and heat until it turns dark. Remove chile with a
slotted spoon and discard.
- Add the onions to the hot chile oil
and cook, stirring, until onions are wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium, partially cover pan and cook, stirring
occasionally, until onions are caramelized (golden brown), 30-40
minutes. (Add more oil if onions are dry or stick to the pan).
- Season with salt/pepper. Add calamari and stir until heated throughout.
- Serve with slices of hot or toasted French bread.