- 1/2 lb Sweet bread, Hawaiian or Portugese
- 2 tb Coconut, sweetened,
- 1 sm Firm-ripe papaya
- 1 lg Firm-ripe avocado
- 2 tb
- 1 ts Sugar
- 1/4 ts Crushed dried red hot chilies
- Cut bread into 1/4" thick slices, then cut diagonally into triangles.
Arrange in a single layer in a 10x15" pan.
- Bake in a 300'F. oven
until lightly browned, about 10 minutes; turn slices over halfway
- Cool on racks. (If made ahead, wrap airtight and store
at room temperature up to a day.)
- In a 7-8" frying pan, stir
coconut over medium-high heat until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Pour
from pan; set aside.
- Cut papaya in half lengthwise. Discard
seeds and peel, leaving halves intact. From 1 half, cut 2 lengthwise
slices, each about 1/4" thick. Dice remaining papaya; set fruit aside.
- Cut avocado in half lengthwise. Discard pit and peel, leaving
halves intact. From 1 half, cut 2 lengthwise slices, each about 1/4"
thick. Sprinkle slices with 1 teaspoon lime juice; set aside.
- Dice remaining avocado and mix with remaining lime juice, sugar, and red
- On a platter, arrange avocado mixture and diced
papaya side by side in separate mounds.
- Fan reserved avocado
slices next to diced papaya, and reserved papaya slices next to avocado
mixture. Sprinkle with coconut.
- Serve with toasted bread.